NEWS: "Back to the Future, Buddies" recipe for the month of September is: Crocodile Bread.
A wonderful challenge! Bake along and link up your bread. The closing date is September 30th.
NEWS: La ricetta del mese di settembre del gruppo “Back to the Future, Buddies” è il: Pane Coccodrillo.
Una gran bella sfida! Il termine di partecipazione è il 30 settembre.

Sep 4, 2012

Nectarine Upside-Down Chiffon Cake - Baking with Julia

   English / Italiano


Well, it's sad but sometimes you have to look further for a sweet happy ending... and for further, today,  I don't mean "further down" but far away from my blog.... (Please promise to come back and cheer me up!). 

Before making the Nectarine Upside Down-Chiffon Cake chosen by our group "Tuesdays with Dorie - Baking with Julia",  I watched 
Mrs Mary Bargin's video on "how to make it". I really did not find it difficult (time consuming but not difficult) and her explanations were really good...


 
...BUT,
...The first cake (picture on the left) that came out of my oven looked great, almost like Mary's, if not for a small and "irrelevant" difference: the center of mine didn't bake properly and was runny!! ...what I unfortunately discovered only after cutting it (How on earth have I missed thaaat detail!!).

I was on my way to the waste bin (imagine my mood!), and:
"Wait! Look! 
The edges are well baked! Give it a chance!"
...One sad look full of hope, one bite full of expectations: Nothing! 
I didn't enjoy it! I-just-did-not-like-it!!
I didn't like the topping made of so much butter and dark brown sugar: greasy, too sweet (can you believe me saying that!) and with an extremely strong taste of dark brown sugar: really not my piece of cake! And the crumble between the layers of the chiffon cake was much too much!


Please note: dark and light brown sugar appeared in my life less than 1 year ago, when I started the exciting "Christmas Cookie Club Project", after reading and loving A. Pearlman's novel "The Christmas Cookie Club", based on profound friendships and cookies (that's all we need, isn't it!)

These sugars are hardly available in Switzerland and are 6 times more expensive than white sugar. I do like them. 
I do use them in cookies, cakes, candies but not as a topping - this kind of topping. 

Now, if you have been following me for a while, you know that I don't admit defeat (especially in the kitchen! especially that easily!). 
So, changing a few steps,  I rolled up my sleeves and remade the cake (picture on the right):
Butter: I've brushed the pan with a small portion of softened butter.
Dark brown sugar: I've reduced to 3/4 cup, making a mix of 
1/4 dark brown sugar 2/4 light brown sugar.
Crumble: I've used about 1/4 of it (and kept the rest on the fridge - maybe I could mix it to my homemade granola, for once)

Nectarine: I've diced them. Not that I did not like the previous decoration, but I wanted to try a different "design".
Vanilla: I've added some homemade vanilla extract to the cake batter.
Pan: I did not have a 10 inch pan (only a 9 inch) and poured the extra batter in a second one, covering the batter with some crumble (since I still had so much left).

Drumroll... : 
The center was solid, but still far away from the "spongy" it should be.
Chiffon cake: the taste was good. I really enjoyed the vanilla touch! But I personally find that 1/2 cup of oil is a lot.
Topping: unfortunately still to sweet 


The end result:

Almost with tears in my eyes I have to admit that this cake is just not for me... Me rejecting a cake???! How come?!!!!

Please do visit Marlise of The Double Trouble Kitchen and Susan of The Little French Bakery. On their blog you'll find two marvellous cakes waiting for you! Please, just forget what your read in my blog (I mean, after commenting :-)  ) and ...be happy...happily baking! Hope you'll love it more than I did.

Chiedo scusa a tutti i lettori di lingua italiana per non aver tradotto questa ricetta e vi prego di contattarmi, se desiderate riceverla. Sappiate però che nonostante l'abbia preparate due volte - non mi è piaciuta (troppo dolce) e non è mai cotta al punto giusto. Ho rinunciato a fare un terzo tentativo.
Guardate comunque il video, è molto interessante.


Dove acquistare i libri. You can buy the books from:




  


  Sign up to my free Newsletter. Iscriviti alla mia Newsletter gratuita.
To validate, please check your email (or spam folder) and press on the confirmation link. 
Per validare l'iscrizione, premi il link di conferma che riceverai per email (controllare la casella di posta indesiderata).


32 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that it didn't turn out for you :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sara. Your idea to use Plums instead of Nectarine sounds delicious!

      Delete
  2. Oh, phooey. What a disappointment!! I know I ended up baking mine much longer than the recipe stated...but if you didn't like it, you didn't like it! On to the wheat bread :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lizzy. Your chiffon cake is beautiful and I was so pleased that you loved it (maybe I'm the only "black sheep" of the group).
      On to the wheat bread...yesssss! I love it!

      Delete
  3. Goodness you tried and tried. I wonder if it was the substitutions that caused the problems. Well, you have so many other wonderful cake recipes that this one should not hold you back from making more cakes. Thanks for your comments on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marlise,
      The first time I made no substitution ...Must be what is called "bad chemistry"!
      Thank you for visiting and commenting.

      Delete
  4. What a relief to know that I'm not the only one who didn't like the flavor. I expected something light and summery. You know, with words like "nectarine" and "chiffon"... well, I was unprepared for greasy dark brown sugar. But forged ahead with an open mind. I wanted to like it. I really did. Thanks for the validation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret.
      You made such a beatiful pecan pie!

      Delete
  5. Reading the recipe and noting the amounts of oil+butter and sugar, I decided to reduce them. Since I used grapes that were sweeter than nectarines, the end result was quite satisfactory. I have posted the adjustments on my blog. Good job for persevering and baking the cake twice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ovenchaos. I've never baked with fresh grapes. Your cake looks wonderfully yummy!

      Delete
  6. Luckily there are plenty of cakes to make--it's ok if you don't like it! I don't think the cake needed the streusel at all. But I was proud of myself for making a cake out of my comfort zone.
    Good job, great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cindy.
      NB: I love the pillow you just posted about: it's fantastic!

      Delete
  7. I am sorry this cake was not for you! I am also sorry you had issues making it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Im at home Baking.
      Yours plum cake is beautiful. Hope the fruit price is not always like that in Japan!

      Delete
  8. At least you tried. Kudos for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yummychunklet, hope you are feeling better.
      Wish you all the best with your ankle.

      Delete
  9. Isn't it fun seeing the very same recipe baked around the world and how close we are when we unveil the cake? I have a love-hate relationship with this one, but ended up happy when eating it!! Fun baking with the group! Blessings, Catherine

    http://praycookblog.com/2012/09/twd-bwj-nectarine-upside-down-chiffon-cake/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catherine.
      I loved making it ... I didn't love eating it.
      The fun to bake all together makes me forget my defeats.

      Delete
  10. I baked my cake about 20 minutes longer than was called for. So sorry this one didn’t work out for you! Such a disappointment!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We thought it was a little too sweet as well, but we liked it. Hopefully the next recipe will be more to your liking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry this cake didn't work for you. I think you'll love the wheat loaves, though. We devoured them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teresa. I'm pleased you loved it that much.
      Wheat loves: yessss! I love it! So far my most baked recipe from the book.

      Delete
  13. Carola, too bad that this cake did not really turn out to be a success for you but you have so many wonderful cakes in your past and future that at the end of the day this one recipe will not make so much of a difference!

    Liebe Grüsse, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry that this cake was not all that you hoped it to be. I am impressed that you gave it two tries! Like Andrea said - you make so many great desserts that this will be just a mere memory in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cher for your kind words.
      I gave it a second try, because I so seldom (but really seldom)
      do not like a cake.
      I thought, I may have messed something up.

      Delete
  15. I have just found your blog, and love that it is bilingual, so I have bookmarked it to get more recipes in italian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WELCOME and thank you Zeeona.
      Please join the blog and / or subscribe to it if you wish to receive an email, each time I post a recipe.
      Nice to have you here. All the best

      Delete
  16. As beautiful as this cake was, it was not a hit for me either. I'm looking forward to the whole wheat loaves. I read that you made 7 loaves!! Must be good. Keeping my fingers crossed! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a pity, Cathleen! Your cake was so beautiful.
      Hope you'll love the bread at least 1/2 of what I love it :-)

      Delete

MANY THANKS for your Feedback - IL VOSTRO COMMENTO MI STA A CUORE!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...